We know that’s a pretty big price range, but that’s because the amount you’ll pay to repair your heat pump depends on a variety of factors, including:
- The type of repair needed
- The status of your heat pump warranty
- The contractor you hire to fix your heat pump
Below, we’ll discuss these cost factors in more detail, so you can get a better idea of how much your heat pump repair will cost you.
Factor #1: The type of repair needed
How much you pay for your heat pump repair depends on what’s wrong with it.
The cost to repair your heat pump will vary depending on:
- How much a replacement part costs. Some parts cost more to replace than others. For example, replacing a faulty thermostat is much cheaper than replacing a broken fan.
- How long repairs take. The more difficult and time-consuming the repair, the more it will cost.
Below, we’ve compiled some of the most common heat pump repairs, so you can get a better idea of what your specific repair might cost:
- Thermostat failure: $150–$500. You may have a faulty thermostat if your heat pump isn’t kicking on or if it is running constantly. The cost to replace a faulty thermostat depends largely on what kind of thermostat you have (smart vs. manual).
- Refrigerant leak: $550–$1,000+. You may have low refrigerant levels if your heat pump is icing over or if your home never reaches the temperature you’ve set on your thermostat. Low refrigerant levels are generally caused by leaks in the refrigerant line. The leak will need to be repaired and refrigerant refilled.
- Broken reversing valve: $300–$700. You may have a broken reversing valve if your heat pump is icing over or is blowing cold air during the winter or warm air during the summer. Because the reversing valve is soldered-in, replacing a broken one can be difficult and time-consuming, making it a more expensive repair.
- Faulty fan motor: $250–$950. You may have a failing fan motor if your heat pump is running but you don’t notice much heated or cooled air coming from your vents. Heat pump fan motors wear out with time and may need to be replaced.
- Broken compressor: $150–$1,200+. If your compressor isn’t running, your heat pump cannot effectively heat or cool your home. There are several parts of a compressor that may fail, so the cost to repair or replace the compressor varies. Replacing the entire compressor is one of the most costly heat pump repairs.
Factor #2: Status of your heat pump warranty
If your heat pump is covered by a valid manufacturer’s warranty, the cost for repair will be greatly reduced.
A manufacturer’s warranty covers the cost to replace faulty parts (but not labor). The amount covered and length of coverage varies among manufacturers.
It’s important to note that a manufacturer’s warranty is easily voided. You might accidentally void your manufacturer’s if:
- You fail to register your heat pump with the manufacturer.
- Your heat pump hasn’t been serviced annually.
- Your heat pump has been repaired with off-brand parts.
- Your heat pump has been serviced or repaired by an unlicensed technician.
To check the status of your heat pump warranty, look up the serial number on the manufacturer’s web site.
Factor #3: The contractor you hire to fix your heat pump
The more experience the contractor you hire has, the more you will typically pay to fix your heat pump.
While a low-cost contractor may seem like a good way to cut costs, beware any contractor that undercharges for repair services. Low-priced repairs are a red flag that a contractor is inexperienced and may even be unlicensed. Hiring an inexperienced or unlicensed contractor may end up costing you more in the long run if you have to pay to fix shoddy repairs.
A quality HVAC technician should have:
- An HVAC license
- 10+ years of reputable service in your area
- Positive reviews on Google and social media
Get accurate pricing on your heat pump repair
If you’re ready to find out how much your specific heat pump repair will cost, contact Air Experts. We’ll take a look at your heat pump and provide you with upfront repair pricing. And if you hire Air Experts to repair your heat pump we’ll waive the diagnostic fee.
When you hire Air Experts Inc for your heat pump repair, you get:
- Heat pump repair options and fair, upfront pricing
- A company with an A+ BBB rating
- A company with 5-star Google rating